Sunday, August 4, 2013

extra shelves and storage

As every female knows, there's no such thing as extra storage. Unfortunately my house came with the least amount of storage possible. Oh Silicon Valley living. In my tiny galley kitchen, I have no room to store any dried foods or baking goods. Hence I came up with a brilliant plan to add two shelving units to my back dining room wall which is adjacent to my kitchen.

Originally there was storage on the back wall when I moved in, but unfortunately I found out that there were electrical issues in the dining room area which resulted in having to dismantle the storage unit that was mounted to the wall, cut out pieces of the drywall, rewire and then redrywall. In the process the storage piece was so severely broken that it couldn't be reinstalled. THANKFULLY I had a wonderful real estate agent who was able to contact the seller and was able to get the seller to agree to pay for the repairs! 

Before

After
After the drywall was back up, I had to sand it, prime and repaint the affected areas. I don't think that you can tell that extensive repairs had to be done, but I also might be biased as I had to do the tail end myself. Of course that meant that I was now at a severe kitchen storage shortage as the meager drawers previously in place were now gone. 

I did some research and was able to find these Alera Wire Shelving Units from Costco (online) for a GREAT deal while they were on sale. Even better? The kind UPS delivery man even placed the very heavy boxes containing the shelves into my dining room for me! One great benefit about these shelves are that they are super easy to assemble. I assembled both shelving units in under an hour - no tools required. I also added in these handy shelving liners as I was going to be putting objects of varying sizes on my shelves. 

Although they look a little industrial, and granted most people use these in professional kitchens, in their garages or for their businesses, I really liked the contrasting look and feel to my mostly feminine place. Plus they are very strong and durable - a huge plus in my book. I opted to install two as they take up the majority of my back wall (I have a foot of space left on one of the sides) and they look cleaner than having three of the smaller units in that area. 

No comments:

Post a Comment