Sunday, August 18, 2013

The Grand Canadian Sport - Curling

Okay, okay, I know that curling isn't exactly a Canadian sport, but it basically is. Just like how hockey isn't a Canadian sport, but is just so popular there, it basically is. For those who don't know what curling is, it is almost like bocce ball, but on ice, except you don't throw the massively heavy granite rock, you slide it on the ice. You can learn more here. (Yes, you can burn me for linking you to a Wikipedia page..)

Curling Court - Need To Get The Rocks Into The Circles
Photo Credit: Wikipedia

So a bit of a breakdown: there are eight heavy stones on each side (42 lbs each!), a stabilizer, broom, hack (the thing that your foot pushes off of) and for those without curling shoes (so everyone in our group, excluding the instructor) a piece of material that is *very* slippery.

All The Equipment Needed To Curl

The hardest thing to do for me was learning how to push off in the correct stance. Once I started to semi-equate the proper stance into what is the "Knight" pose in yoga, I got a lot better at it. You also have to be quite limber for this sport, if not, you can really knot up, or will feel the stretch in your thighs. Since I've been doing lots of yoga lately, I didn't find this to be a problem.
 
Here You Can See Someone Getting Into Position To Throw The Rock

The Rock Was Just Thrown In This Picture

So a lot of technique also goes into sweeping which can help direct which way the rock goes and even help it go farther. Usually two people sweep at a time. 

Waiting For Instructions

In Position, Ready To Sweep

Apparently We Needed A Little Help - Our Instructor Jumped In

Over all it was actually really fun. I would totally consider taking it up, buttt the only two ice rinks around that play the sport are in Oakland (SCARY!) and San Jose - both of which are pretty far from me. If you have the chance to try out the sport, I would highly recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment